Re: [Phys-L] Freshman Physics

I appreciate all of the feedback. Just by way of further information:

1. All my quizzes of this kind (multi-step problems) are handed out in
class and returned to me in lab (in this case a Monday class and Wednesday
lab). This gives them time to think.

2. I never do problems/examples in class with numbers. I show them that
if you solve the block on an inclined plane connected to a block hanging
over a pulley, twice -- once moving up and once moving down the plane --
you've solved every blasted problem in the back of the chapter.

Let me give you my results...

The "house" problem --
10% failed the problem with no idea how to start.
1 student used Python to run a nested loop to try a range of velocities
with a range of angles! Very inventive.
2 students did a "worst case scenario" approach and did the huge angle
assumption and then just solved for a velocity that worked.
The remainder of them did the algebra, working their way through it,
although not without some math errors in some cases.

All in all, I was very happy with the work, inventiveness, and range of
approaches. I don't want them to think the real world is "plug and chug"
and want them to learn to think. I believe I got that. I would definitely
change the problem using some of John Denker's suggestions next time --
especially changing the house into a wall.

The "rope" problem --
Everyone could do the force diagram.
Some of them tried to simplify it by turning it into two masses connected
by a massless rope -- which doesn't work of course.
Of the ones who got the variable mass idea, only 43% of the class, the
solution they got was correct although some of them left the second part in
integral form because they couldn't integrate it.
I'll spend some time going over this one in class because they all deserve
to see the process. Because only 43% of the class could complete it, I'm
not going to count this one toward their grade.

I thank all of you for the feedback!
Peter

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 11:18 AM Todd Pedlar via Phys-l <