[Phys-L] counterintuitive Gibbs-Duhem

In another context, on 8/8/21 12:27 AM, I wrote:

Saying "nothing else changes" is a non-starter. You cannot
change one thing without affecting lots of other things. The
number of plausible variables vastly exceeds the number of
degrees of freedom.

This happens All.The.Time in thermodynamics.

Suppose we have a certain system, and we wish to explore how
it behaves as a function of the intensive variables pressure (P)
temperature (T), and chemical potential (μ).

A good first step would be to make a 3D plot, where the dP
direction, the dT direction, and the dμ direction are all
mutually perpendicular and independent......

... except you can't. The parameter space is inherently two-
dimensional. Any one of the aforementioned basis directions
is linearly independent on the other two, as indicated in
this 2D diagram:

https://www.av8n.com/physics/wpage/gibbs-duhem.png

Let's be clear: You can't say "let's take a step in the dT
direction, and nothing else changes. You just can't. There
has to be some associated dP or dμ or both. There's a constraint
that must be satisfied. There are too many variables and not
enough degrees of freedom.

How do I know this is the case? How do I know this absolutely
must be the case?

Hint #1: Y'all know me. You know how much I love scaling arguments.

Hint #2: Look at the subject line.

Give-away: This is worked out in lurid detail here:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/scaling.htm#sec-thermo