[Phys-L] How Oakland (CA) school children are returning to class rooms.

https://portside.org/2021-07-26/how-oakland-teachers-took-control-our-return-school <https://portside.org/2021-07-26/how-oakland-teachers-took-control-our-return-school>

Excerpt of above:

By conducting these safety walkthroughs, we soon realized that our contract language for safe ventilation was too vague. Covid is airborne and our students’ simple cloth masks wouldn’t filter aerosols, so this was a big concern for us.

We quickly reached an understanding with the Employer to provide a minimum of four air changes per hour (ACH) through HEPA filtration in each classroom and shared workspace. [Is that enough?]

We then recorded a training video with the chief steward of the Building Trades Council explaining the science behind the proper use of portable HEPA filters.

We also published a straightforward chart <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y6qXk511Dz33kVSKv9mXSlpT5iA7QTW8xJdYoBeLECA/edit?usp=sharing> showing how many portable HEPA filters would be needed to achieve four air changes per hour in different sizes of classrooms.

OUR EYES AND EARS

Overall, we found that most sites were prepared with the safety measures we had won at the bargaining table.

The data we collected allowed us to identify which schools had safety issues that could be resolved by shop stewards and which sites needed additional support from leadership.

With the safety walkthroughs largely complete, rank-and-file educators formed the next layer of enforcement. Many returned to buildings several days ahead of our students.

Our Big Bargaining Team—18 members, including a district nurse—conducted dozens of site meetings (virtually) to educate members on safety measures, instructional schedules, and leave policies. We also encouraged all of our members to attend safety webinars presented by our statewide union.

That gave the union eyes and ears nearly everywhere, on alert for safety concerns.

TOOK CONTROL OF THE PROCESS …..

bc …. notes they concentrated on schools in areas of high infection rates.