Re: [Phys-L] Reminiscing

On 2021/Jul/21, at 13:26, bernard cleyet <bernard@cleyet.org> wrote:

Reminiscing:
In 1946 - at the age of 14 - I passed the FCC exams and became the Ham
Radio Operator W3NLV. I built a radio transmitter and experimented with

I am so angry. Another miss-consumption of time to reminisce, deleted and sent a copy of Bob’s letter by mistake. Aargh! Not in draft file, anywhere.

Anyway, I try again —

I became W6TFE almost solely to legally experiment W/X-band and UHF pulse. I did manage a one sentence communication atop the pass above Santa Barbara W/friend in S.B. (Field day ca 1954) before the transmitted drifted. (420 MHz-except we called it cps) I had purchased an APS 13 (IFF) for this. (Dual 6J6s W/pulse transformer; receiver ~ one µV. sensitivity after IF transformers retuned to narrow BW.) My transmitter used door knob tubes — still have! I may have the modulator; 6L6s ?

Later during the IGY (1957/58) I purchased a bunch of APS 13s for my bosses large area cosmic ray detector.

Detail: Two 5” MPTs in coincidence looking at a 20gal? soup caldron for Cherenkov detection; six? in a circle ~ one mile in diameter. My suggestion, he was going to use cable, perhaps not practical W/O line amps. Anyway it worked. Collected data for probably half a year. I moved on to another project, and a friend continued the maintenance.

bc …. can also reminisce.