[Phys-L] a counterintuition: please examine

BC said in part:
//
In my previous post (the second, this is the third) I explained the added mass was done W/the pendulum stopped.

  Note: experimentally extremely difficult, however, here are some methods.

1,  the support is absolutely rigid (added mass will affect the operation if not rigid)
2,  mass may be added by changing the bob’s metal (from brass to tungsten W/the same size, etc.)  so dissipation the same.

Note:  there is a problem if the result is as I predicted, the dissipation will change W/ the reduced amplitude.  Can be compensated by changing the atmosphere causing > the dissipation, As I wrote very difficult to do experimentally.

  3 and more; I think one will now understand what I’ve attempted.
//
This is not quite the third BC contribution on the topic of pendulum QHe cited amplitude reduction if the bob's mass is increased as a Huygens observation, which he mentioned about fourteen years ago. (6/9/2007)The  air pressure surrounding a pendulum is comparatively easy to reduce with an evacuated column; the basis of the Shortt-Metronome clock (although domestic sources prefer to mention the Hall-Littlemore Clock which featured a quartz oscillator in the loop as THE most accurate - if noisy -  pendulum)
  I assert that the pivot however ALWAYS sees increased dissipation with increased bob mass, so I prefer to state BCs #2 proposition like this:"Air drag is reduced at reduced amplitude. It follows that a postulated reduction in pendulum amplitude with increased bob weight is due to increased dissipation at the pivot point."
This leitmotif later pulled in a contribution from Hugh, the keeper of the Trinity clock. (Eight years later in 2015!) If I have not previously mentioned it, I note that the son of the then keeper of Big Ben told me that this pendulum was regulated seasonally by the addition or subtraction of a penny from the top of the bob which effectively shortened or lengthened it respectively.