[Phys-L] Hysteresis

Researching BC's mention of capacitive hysteresis ( aka dielectric absorption)  shone a light on a surprisingly helpful summary of technical books which mention dielectric absorption:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/dielectric-absorption

(Hope this pointer does not rely on any prior sign-ups I have made - never sure these days!)
In fluid electrolytes Helmholtz is usually credited with discovering the effect. I seem to recall Faraday had something to say about solid bilayer capacitors.
Wiki is helpful too:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_layer_(surface_science)

Negative capacitance rears its head when one layer is ferro-electric:https://www.nature.com/articles/srep19039

This topic has led to a recent Nobel, and to super-capacitor applications.