[Phys-L] Reminiscing

Reminiscing:
In 1946 - at the age of 14 - I passed the FCC exams and became the Ham
Radio Operator W3NLV. I built a radio transmitter and experimented with
other Hams world-wide in short wave radio communication. Radio Hams were
then a small group scattered world wide. Today cell phones and social
networks have made world wide communication effortless and common place..
Hams chose between Morse Code or Phone - modern chatters choose between
texting or speech or even video!. There were no satellites. We bounced
signals off the Ionosphere to get over the horizon. The times they are
a-changing!

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
treborsciamanda@gmail.com