[Phys-L] Bessel Horn

I believe the results I presented for the Bessel horn in my previous post
are correct (see below for previous post). However, they can be
considerably simplified. In thinking about checking the dimensions of the
horn volume and equivalent cylindrical radius, I realized the following.
Start with the Bessel horn radius (y) from Dan Beeker:

y = b*(x + x_0)^-gamma (where I assume, as Dan
now says, that the bell end occurs at x = x_0)

y_0 = b*(2*x_0)^-gamma (radius of the bell = 2.25
in for average trumpet)

y_1 = b*(2*x_0 + L)^-gamma (radius of the bore = 0.23 in
for average trumpet, L = positive length along x-axis between bell and bore
radii = about 10 in as my estimate)

Then the volume of the Bessel horn rotated about the x-axis between the bell
and bore radii and the equivalent cylindrical radius (R) for this same
volume are given more simply by:

V = (pi/(2*gamma - 1))*(2*x_0*(y_0^2 - y_1^2) - L*y_1^2)

R = sqrt(V/(pi*L)) = sqrt((2*x_0*(y_0^2 - y_1^2) - L*y_1^2)/(L*(2*gamma -
1)))

Using the example values of my post below:

x_0 = 1 in, y_0 = 2.25 in, y_1 = 0.23 in, L = 10 in, gamma = 1.272831

I get the same volume and equivalent radius reported below:

V = 6.139897*pi in^3

R = 0.783575 in

But the dimensions of V and R are a lot easier to check, and the numbers are
a lot easier to compute!

Don Polvani