Re: [Phys-L] Phys-l Digest, Vol 198, Issue 1

For the Bessel horn, I think the resolution to the +/- sign of epsilon (aka
gamma) has simply to do with the relative positions of the trumpet bell and
trumpet bore along the x-axis. For the bell closer to the origin than the
bore, the minus sign is correct. For the bell farther from the origin than
the bore, the plus sign is correct. I am defining the "bore" as that radius
(smaller than the bell radius) which stays "constant" throughout the rest of
the trumpet.

I have used (as Dan Beeker originally stated):

y = b*(x + x_0)^-gamma

This produced a nice "trumpet-like" curve (with the bell closer than the
bore to the origin). I searched the internet for typical trumpet parameters
and found:

Average bell radius = 2.25 in

Average bore radius = 0.23 in

I started the bell at x_0 = 1 in and assumed it took 10 in ( length L) to
reach the smaller bore radius.

This yielded the fitted parameters (fit at the bell and bore radii):

b = 5.436792

gamma = 1.272831

I then rotated the trumpet about the x-axis to find the volume (V) contained
between the bell and bore separated by L along the x-axis

V = (pi*b^2/(2*gamma - 1))*(1/(2*x_0)^(2*gamma - 1) - 1/(2*x_0 + L
)^(2*gamma - 1))

This yields an equivalent cylindrical radius (R) for a cylinder of the same
length (L)

R = sqrt(( b^2/(L*(2*gamma - 1)))*(1/(2*x_0)^(2*gamma - 1) - 1/(2*x_0 + L
)^(2*gamma - 1)))

Using the above numerical parameters, this yields:

V = 6.139897*pi in^3

R = 0.783575 in (so, bore radius <= R <= bell radius)

Thanks again to Dan Beeker for providing the Bessel horn information.

Don Polvani