Re: [Phys-L] rms / conic / arithmetic / geometric averages

This topic interested me. I looked at three cases. John Denker's frustum of a right circular cone, David Bowman's "flared horn" (parabolic case), and a spherical "zone and segment of two bases" (i.e. segment of sphere after two parallel slices). In each case, R_1 is the lower radius, R_2 is the upper radius, h is the vertical distance between bases, and R is the radius of the equivalent (by volume, V)) right circular cylinder with height h.

The technique I used was simple. Set the formula for the object's volume equal to the volume of the equivalent cylinder and solve for the equivalent cylinder's radius R.

1) Frustum of a right circular cone

V = (pi/3)*h*(R_1^2 + R_1*R_2 + R_2^2)
V_cyl = pi*h*R^2
R = sqr((R_1^2 + R_1*R_2 + R_2^2)/3)

This agrees with John Denker's result for his N = 1 (conic) case

2) Flared (Parabolic) Horn

I integrated the volume of a parabola rotated about the y-axis with R_1 the bottom (larger)radius of revolution, R_2 the top (smaller) radius of revolution, and h = vertical distance between the bottom and top:

Parabola: x = a*y^2 + c
a = (R_2 - R_1)/h^2
c = R_1
V= pi*h*((3*R_2^2 + 4*R_1*R_2 + 8*R_1^2)/15)
V_cyl = pi*h*R^2
R = sqr((3*R_2^2 + 4*R_1*R_2 + 8*R_1^2)/15)

For a similar case, David Bowman got:

R = sqr((R_2^2 + R_2^3/2 * R_1^1/2 + R_2* R_1 + R_2^1/2 * R_1^3/2 + R_1^2)/5)

This does not agree with my expression. However, both expressions yield the correct result in the limiting case when a = 0 (i.e. R_2 = R_1). So, the "parabola" is simply a straight vertical line rotated about the y=axis and the volume is that of a right circular cylinder with radius R = R_1 = R_2.

I assume this means that David's parabola choice is somehow different from mine and both results are correct.

3) Zone and Segment of Sphere

V = (pi*h/6)*(3*R_1^2 + 3*R_2^2 + h^2)
V_cyl = pi*h*R^2
R = sqr((3*R_1^2 + 3*R_2^2 + h^2)/6)

This case explicitly involves the height h in the expression for R. It does check in the hemispherical case (R_1 = R_sph, R_2 = 0, h = R_sph ) and full sphere case (R_2 = R_1 = 0, h = 2*R_sph).

Don Polvani