Re: [Phys-L] Variations in People’s Sense of Direction

The strings aren't all in the same direction on a grand piano. The longest  strings are at an angle to the rest of the strings. You can see a picture of this here. https://thomaspianoservice.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/used-steinway-baby-grand-piano-for-sale-montgomery-al-strings.jpg
Interestingly, the frame that holds the strings is really massive for a number of reasons. With tension of the approximately 230 strings pulling in adds up to about 2x10^5 N of force. Though measures are used to try to keep the tension even by changing the length of the strings and winding the bass strings with copper, the forces aren't all pulling in quite the same direction. I'm pretty sure that the frame outweighs the strings by a margin otherwise things would get exciting.
Still cast iron and steel has been known to get a residual magnetic field via the earth's magnetic field and vibrations, and I wouldn't be surprised that a piano kept in the same position for a long time might develop a field aligned to the earth's.

I had a steel filing cabinet in a classroom where I once taught that had been stuck into a corner for 50 years by the time I arrived. When we moved it, we could detect a small but measurable field with a Hall Effect probe that deviated from the earth's field.

-Zeke