Re: [Phys-L] magnetic circuits ... was: change in inductance with iron core

Excellent and very clear.

But now I'm back to my original question: Given that the Amperian currents
are microscopic, I would think they wouldn't be reduced by lamination. They
depend only on the relative permeability, which is big for iron.

So why doesn't the self-inductance of a Pasco coil increase by thousands
(instead of only 10) when I put a laminated iron bar into its core? The
magnetization field should only depend on the Amperian currents, not on the
actual continuity of the field line loops, shouldn't it? A whole bunch of
adjacent microscopic loops act like one big loop, right?

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 1:35 PM John Denker via Phys-l <