Re: [Phys-L] magnetic circuits ... was: change in inductance with iron core

This is another example of changing physics culture. Back in the 50’s, in addition to dc circuits, etc., we were taught magnetic circuits. I distinctly remember E.A. Wms saying cutting the iron was like cutting a wire in an e-circuit. (not quite, of course) So I was surprised by Carl's question. So much more to learn, so mag. circuitry dropped. [The Text was Harnwell “Principles of Electricity and Electromagnetism”

The Lab. was projects; The shop built a box Tightly fitting lid. I installed two 931 MPTs “looking" at a plastic scintillator W/PMMA light pipes (flat and curved machined, polymethyl silane gel, etc. W/6AK5’s distributed amps. (I think 100MHz BW ) fed a Ross dual triode coincidence. I inserted varying lengths of RG62-U cable to find the resolution.

My friend Ian made a clock using a quartz oscillator and jillions of tubes to divide down to one second. Did very well agains WWV. I don’t remember the other two or three others.

bc still remembers MMF, reluctance, etc.