Re: [Phys-L] snowball Earth

On Apr 15, 2021, at 10:26 AM, Anthony Lapinski <alapinski@pds.org> wrote:

While I was discussing the Hubble Law and expansion of the universe today
in my astronomy class, a student (senior) asked me an unrelated question
about the snowball Earth idea - that the Earth's surface was completely
frozen in the past, much more than a typical "ice age." How could this
happen? Is there any strong evidence for this? Does anyone teach this idea
or know of good research/papers (appropriate for high school kids)?

There are a couple of pages (142-143) on this topic in Bennet and Shostak’s “Life In The Universe <https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/program/Bennett-Modified-Mastering-Astronomy-with-Pearson-e-Text-Standalone-Access-Card-for-Life-in-the-Universe-4th-Edition/PGM60574.html>" 4e.
They say “The CO2 cycle rescues Earth from a snowball phase.”

Larry