From: Phys-l <phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org> On Behalf Of Antti Savinainen via Phys-l
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:22 AM
To: phys-l@mail.phys-l.org
Cc: Antti Savinainen <antti.j.savinainen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Kalam cosmological argument

Hi again,

to clarify my position: I'm not personally interested in proofs for or againts the existence of God. However, my friend asked a physicist's opinion on the Kalam cosmological argument, and I promised to do so. I suppose that physics has something to say about the following premises:

1) Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
2) The universe began to exist.
3) Therefore, the universe has a cause.

Causality appears not to be fully preserved at a quantum level. For instance, one can talk only about statistical causality, say, in a double slit experiment with electrons. The interference pattern is formed only after enough electrons have passed through. The position a given electron will end up in a screen cannot be predicted, only the pattern formed by many electrons. Hence the term statistical causality.
Or have I missed something?

Regards,

Antti