Re: [Phys-L] Weight of equal masses

Such arguments have been made for decades if not centuries, and the
pseudo-precise calculations don’t add much to the discussion.

To convince students a much simpler arrangement is offered, making
essentially the same point: pour a pound of bird-shot into a rubber
balloon, tie it off, and drop it into a water container; do the same to
another balloon, inflate it, tie it off, and drop it into water. Anyone
will accept that the inflated balloon “weighs” less in water. Now just ask
for explanation which should be readily given.