Re: [Phys-L] Blue color heated steel

I stand corrected. I googled my assumption and found out that welding
produces a whole range of colors:
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/welding-colors-what-they-mean-and-why-they-matter

It's fun to be wrong. Count that as one thing I learned today.

Paul

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 5:19 PM Paul Nord <Paul.Nord@valpo.edu> wrote:

Aluminum and titanium form clear oxide layers. Aluminum oxide layers
quickly become too thick to show any thin film interference. But titanium
can be controlled carefully and can produce any color (almost, thin films
fail at a few).

But if you are machining steel stock and get it too hot, it always turns
blue. Either it produces a layer of clear oxide that has a very specific
thickness, or there is another explanation. Iron oxides are usually red,
yellow, or black. None of those suggests clear, or blue.

Paul

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 10:20 AM John Denker via Phys-l <