Re: [Phys-L] Blue color heated steel

It comes from optical interference created by a thin transparent oxide layer on the surface. I’d check the metallurgy literature

Best

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 4, 2021, at 10:26 AM, M R Carabajal via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

Hello

I would greatly appreciate a bibliographic indication on the subject of
heating steel. I have not been able to find a clear explanation of the
reason for the blue color, that steel presents when heated to about 600
Kelvin. That is, to substantiate the deviations of the blackbody heating
spectrum.

Thanks very much for your attention.

Roberto