Apologies for cross- and or multiple- postings.
We’re excited about getting any tenure-able lines
in these economic circumstances. Please feel free
to forward to interested parties.
Dr. Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics & AAPT Fellow
Interim Chair, Department of Earth Sciences and Science Education
SUNY-Buffalo State College, SAMC160, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo
NY 14222 +1-716-878-3802 (vm) <firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>>
Associate Planetarium Director
Buffalo State, State University of New York, seeks candidates for the position of Associate Planetarium Director.
The Associate Planetarium Director will be responsible for most of the day-to-day operations of the Whitworth Ferguson Planetarium including but not limited to:
- Presenting quality programs for school and Scout groups, college classes, public audiences, special events, and other groups, including occasional evenings and weekends, and including on- and off-site Star Parties.
- Managing and reporting upon public program schedules and reservations for school and private groups and special events, including scheduling part-time planetarium staff.
- Advertising planetarium programs across campus and across the Western NY community. Managing the planetarium web site and social media accounts.
- Maintaining the telescope collection. Planning and placing orders related to the planetarium gift shop.
- Working with the Planetarium Director on program schedules, developing original content, and collaborating with interdisciplinary partners across campus and throughout the Buffalo region.
- Working with the Planetarium Director on expanding planetarium offerings to areas such as summer and after-school camps and adult continuing education opportunities as well as developing proposals for formal and informal education programs within appropriate funding agencies.
The Associate Director will also be responsible for teaching two SUNY college credit bearing astronomy-related courses per academic year and serving on committees and related activities in the Department of Earth Sciences and Science Education.
The new Whitworth Ferguson Planetarium at Buffalo State College is a new 35-foot diameter planetarium which seats 48 and includes a Spitz SciDome 4K digital planetarium system, a Zeiss ZKP 4 opto-mechanical projector, and an AVI SkyLase FX laser system.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in astronomy, earth science, science education, physics or closely related field.
- Proficiency in public speaking.
- Good organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Be able to stand for extended periods of time and to lift and move telescopes and equipment (up to 30 lbs).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience creating and presenting complex information in a planetarium or other informal science education setting.
- Demonstrated ability communicating scientific information to audiences with a wide range of ages.
- Demonstrated teaching experience in astronomy.