Re: [Phys-L] Hydrogen Spectrum Virtual Lab

On 4/7/2020 6:05 AM, Jeffrey Schnick via Phys-l wrote:
Anybody got any ideas for a virtual hydrogen spectrum lab for an algebra-based physics course for life science majors? They will have studied two-slit interference and will have been introduced to the hydrogen atom. I used to teach a lab where students took a picture of a hydrogen lamp through a grating with a black and white instant polaroid camera. The film was sensitive to visible and infrared radiation. The difficulty for the students in analyzing the photo was establishing the angular scale; that represents a geometry problem appropriate for the class. The difficulty for me right now is, I didn't save any of the photos and I'm not finding any on line. Still that's just one possible direction for the lab. The PHET simulators relevant to that topic seem to be java programs and I seem to recall there being a security issue with java. I don't really want to ask the students to install a java runtime environment on their computers and I'm not sure it is an option for all of t
hem.

We begin with the Wiki article - of course!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series

We then proceed to youtube:
A little too basic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5Kg7RUoTE

A little too advanced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFZ2XMsbPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PldicSYLz4k

Khan Academy - but only the visible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-hRvEOjuA

A valuable exposure to science given in a foreign language (Hindi)
 - with values for wave numbers for Lyman thru Pfund at 6 min on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2qXXEtJilE

College of Arts % Science Saskatchewan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuVcJmVDU4

Another presentation in Hindi - which you will be able to grasp with ease
 for which, J  Kanavia <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTnjdqrDRvC9DDqL5IHpYXQ> offered this approbation:
sir i was trying to underSTAND it from half hour and you tought me in <10 minutes. Thanks sir. you are using youtube to help others. The good use of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOCIOjmA9g

Brian W