[Phys-L] Fwd: Re: six more days in Okla

Just cannot get a credible Exponential out of the last six days or so. High R^2 linear fit. Who'da thot!   [not yet April, either! ]

https://imgur.com/a/RpbJMnq

Brian W

On 3/30/2020 1:49 AM, brian whatcott wrote:
An exponential model makes fairly good agreement with the official data for total cases.
When a non linear regression app makes the fit
fall below R^2 = 0.95, a logistics model (of the kind used to fit the HIV epidemic well) starts to show a decline in "carrying capacity" i.e the point at which all the people who can be infected ARE infected and the exponential growth smooths out to a flat top, showing  that high point falling from many millions to a relatively smaller number in the last few days for Oklahoma.(population 3M+)
 It takes several days of below expected exponential growth for a curve fitter to invoke a smaller value for the "carrying capacity"in a logistic model - and that's what we have today - but it is likely just a pot-hole in the progression. If the shortfall in growth continues long enough, one will gain some confidence in predicting the top. Modelers who are paid to work in this area prefer the NEW cases per day, rather than the total cases. This has the usual problem of working from a change in numbers rather than the total numbers - it is very noisy, so that these folk use weekly new cases to smooth out their pot-holes. The graphs here use a more sensitive, but not very noisy, daily data method.

Brian W