[Phys-L] substitute for coal (carbon) in smelting

Phys-l’ers and friends (Bcc’d):

Intuitively, I thought we're stuck producing CO2. But, so I thought, what other reducers are there, and will “creating” them also produce CO2 (or methane).

Here’s an article that is very complete, which I’ve only skimmed (it’s v. long); gentle readers please comment for my benefit, so I may get back to decluttering our home.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1026309813000436

bc