Re: [Phys-L] coffee

One of the engineers I most admired at work for his technical insight and ingenuity used to carry his coffee cup down the hall in a homemade holder which he would swing with great abandon (some for audience effect and some to prevent spillage) as he hurried down the hall. The holder consisted of a square support piece of thin stiff material with a hole in each corner. From each hole he had tied a piece of string with all four strings tied together about 1 to 2 feet above the supported cup. I used to marvel at how effective it was at preventing any spillage of the coffee in the cup, as long as he kept swinging it, despite his hurrying down the hall.

Don
-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Anthony
Lapinski
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2020 10:57 AM
To: phys-l@mail.phys-l.org
Subject: [Phys-L] coffee

Now that I have your attention!

I see faculty walking past my room with their coffees every morning. Is there
an optimal walking frequency (speed) to minimize the liquid from sloshing back
and forth and spilling over? I imagine this depends on the leg length, diameter
of cup, depth of cup, etc.

P.S. I've never had coffee, but I'm curious about this sloshing phenomenon.

--

<http://www.pds.org>
<https://www.facebook.com/princetondayschool>

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:*
The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the
person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Please consider the environment
before printing this email.