Re: [Phys-L] Mathematica question; stiff differential equation

The problem is with the DE itself and not the numerical method perse. The
uniqueness theorem for a differential equation dy/dt = F(t,y) is that both
F(t,y) and \partial F/\partial y be continuous functions in the domain of
interest. For the DE y' = sqrt(2*g*(100-y)) the partial derivative with
respect to y is not continuous at the point y = 100 and indeed the solution
is not unique at the point y = 100. (Thank you JD for clarifying the
distinction between derivatives with respect to t and y which was muddled
in my original response.)

The system X' = F(X) where X = [y;v] and F(X) = [v;-g], does satisfy the
condition for uniqueness. A sufficient condition is that F should have
bounded first partial derivatives with respect to the components of X. In
going from the original 2nd order equation (or equivalently from the system
of 2 first order equations) to the equation y' = sqrt(2*g*(100-y)), some
of the information needed to guarantee uniqueness was lost.

When I learned about existence uniqueness theorems in my ODE classes a
long time ago I remember finding it difficult to care. My (immature)
thinking was that I didn't need to worry about such things because I was
interested in real problems from nature, not artificial problems cooked up
to violate the conditions of the theorem. The present PHYS-L discussion has
given me an opportunity to reconsider my attitude. It also seems to me
that we have an opportunity with this example to construct a homework
problem that illustrates the condition of the theorem with a physical
problem that is quite compelling. I regularly teach a course on
mathematical modeling for Earth System Science students. I'm thinking I
should have a go at creating such a problem starting from the example we
have been discussing. If I'm successful I will call it the Wile E Coyote
problem!

- Francois

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 5:28 AM Carl Mungan via Phys-l <