20th ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON CASE STUDY TEACHING IN SCIENCE Presented by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science University at Buffalo
Date: September 27-28, 2019
Venue: Buffalo Marriott Niagara

REGISTRATION FEE = $700, includes buffet lunch and morning/afternoon coffee breaks, as well as the Friday evening reception & dinner.
(Extra dinner guests need to purchase tickets for $50.00 each.)

DEADLINES:
- Registration: September 10, 2019
- Poster session proposal submission: September 10, 2019
- Hotel deadlines vary - information at http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/training/conference/hotel-info.asp

The aim of our annual fall conference is to bring together people who are interested in teaching science using case studies. Our conference features a key note address by Joseph Kim, Associate Professor in Psychology, Neuroscience and Behavior, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada to present on "Motivating Durable Learning: Focused Attention Through Instructional Design." In addition, the conference offers a full program of workshop sessions on a variety of topics for both the beginner and the more experienced case teacher as well as a poster session. It is your choice which sessions you attend (mix and match).

BEGINNER Sessions: Friday/Saturday
-What is a Case Study? Experience It as a Student. Dissect It as a Teacher (Prud'homme-Genereux)
-The Discussion Case Method (Herreid)
-The Interrupted Case Method (Herreid)
-A Backward Approach to Designing Case Studies (Cliff)
-How to Write a Case (Herreid)
-Filling Your Case Study Toolkit: Tips, Tricks, and Tools for Teaching with Cases (Prud'homme-Genereux)

ADVANCED Sessions: Friday/Saturday
- The Goldilocks Principle-Building a ladder to success by Scaffolding Student Thinking (Westmoreland)
- Using and Developing Case Studies with HHMI BioInteractive Video Resources (Gibson)
- High School Teacher Session: Engaging Students in Seamless Integration of Biomimetic Engineering, Invention and Intellectual Property through Case-Based Instruction (Hoppe/Valdes)
- High School Teacher Session: Who Let The Dogs Out? A Case on DNA Structure Function and Analysis (Hoppe/Valdes)
- Molecular Case Studies: Analysis at the Interface of Biology and Chemistry (Dutta)
- Bioinformatics & DNA-Based Case Studies (Shuster)
- Applying Multimedia Learning Principles to Enhance Student Learning in Lectures (Kim)
- Why are so Many College Graduates Anti-vaxxers? Improving Gen-ed Science Courses by Focusing on the Process of Science Rather than its Factoids (Rowe)
- "A Perfect Medley": Combining Science Case Studies with Team-Based Learning (Westmoreland)

LODGING: A limited block of hotel rooms is being held at various hotels located near the conference hotel. Please see hotel information at http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/training/conference/hotel-info.asp

POSTER SESSION: Submit your poster proposal by September 10, 2019; see the conference website at: http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/training/conference

QUESTIONS: Please contact our Conference Coordinator, Carolyn Wright, at nccsts@buffalo.edu<mailto:nccsts@buffalo.edu> or (716) 645-4900, fax (716) 645-2975.