Re: [Phys-L] thorium reactors

On 2019/Dec/20, at 08:56, John Denker via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

And the next generation thorium reactors have a wealth of potential.
Thorium is not radioactive the way uranium is. It doesn't last as
long. And you can't make a weapon out of it.

I’m sl. puzzled as to why JD didn’t name the howler’s voice. Curiously his father was (is?) a PhD (UCB) physicist w/ many IBM and GE patents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Yang

bc only listened to part of that segment and only about 20 min. of the debate, trusting the PBS takeaways would be sufficient.

p.s. in searching I found a kerfuffle over the relative activities of K40 and Th232. The prof. who claimed incorrectly was comparing apple and oranges.

Franc’s nuclear is ~ 71% electricity w/ pumped hydraulic storage. A CA lake storage is only ~ 60 miles from Salinas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Luis_Dam

Efficiency is ~ 70%