Re: [Phys-L] Textbook Errors re Waterjet Levitation

In the context of this discussion, I just got the latest Flying Magazine, and there's a letter from someone who is asking how clamshell thrust reversers work.

The question asks, "In modern jet aircraft, most have a reverse thrust capacity. I can see how turning the exhaust direction in the nacelle produces reverse thrust. But how does a clamshell reverser work? To me, when the clamshell deploys, it forms a reverse cone behind and unattached to the exhaust of the engine. The engine ... produces forward thrust. The clamshell diverts those gases after they have left the engine back in the opposite direction. My question: Why aren't those two forces offsetting? Why does a clamshell reverser work when the gases have already left the engine?"

As JD likes to say, accounting for the forces is sometimes difficult. Accounting for the momentum is often much simpler. This is a perfect opportunity for JD or someone to write in and explain.

The forces *are* offsetting, as any forces in opposite directions must be. But the reversing force is greater than the pushing force.

If you look at the engine+reverser (with a big airplane attached) as the system, you only need to look at the momentum leaving that system, which is in the forward direction, so the airplane is receiving a backwards momentum increase. If you look at the engine+airplane and reverser+airplane as separate systems, the engine exhaust has a certain delta-V, but the reverser exhaust has a larger delta-V because the gases had to change direction.

It's the same thing we've been discussing with the waterjet.