Re: [Phys-L] Supercooled Water , A Seven Year Physics Tiff

For high-reliability code (as in avionics) it is not unknown for two coding teams to each execute a version, preferably using a different language. Comparison of outputs provides a pointer to coding errors. Here, starting from the same app, two teams produced discrepant results.    As often happens in academic contexts, the code looked somewhat ragged and needed beautification before being let out for code comparisons, and at this point, the paradigm failed with physicist-style hurt feelings and resource restraints. So it took seven years to bring the comparison to bear, with a by no means obvious problem with a conceptual model code stream-lining for speed.

Reminds me of a development moment in a  point of sale terminal development for a major convenience store chain, with which I was involved as systems manager. A prototype section I wrote just would not play nicely with an interacting section carefully written and tested  by the joint design chief. We were using a newish language-vehicle at that time; DEC Pascal on a PDP1132 development system. The Yale trained developer decided he needed to recode my section, because he had carefully checked each paragraph of his section in debug mode for correct results (I had not).
When he reran a test sequence with his fresh code, it still failed in the same way, and the realization finally dawned that it was DECs debug code that had a bug!   :-)
Sadly, when it came to the 100 terminal demonstration test for the customer, it came out that the market for online entertainment ticket sales; theaters, shows, sports events, et al had been all but cornered by a leading ticket sales organization called Ticketmaster - so that the whole engineering effort, comparable to airline ticket sales systems (which are notoriously fraught)  - though successful in engineering terms, was a marketing failure.

Brian W