[Phys-L] Snopes and GCC (arctic ice) denying

I used the Phys-l archive search for Snopes and warming with no applicable result, so below is a link to Snopes' discussion in response to an “outlier”.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/does-arctic-ice-doubt-reality-climate-change/

The author: https://www.snopes.com/author/alex/

note: A former NASA employee, inter alia.

bc … thinks a v. good summary, but is no expert.

Apropos: when to "throw out" a datum:

Scroll to the Appendix:

https://scott.physics.ucsc.edu/pdf/133_draftman.pdf

OTOH: The current 133 manual has a different reason for "throwing out" data. however, I’m not free to reference.

The only reason is bad equipment, in which case all data taken must be "thrown out”.

I think a rather good discussion of outliers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier