Re: [Phys-L] area of the shaded triangle (John Denker)

Interesting. When I first saw the problem, it said that the outer box was a square, as in https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2018/04/26/what-fraction-is-shaded-maths-problem-stumping-the-internet/

So I started by identifying as many angles as I could. That was fairly useless.

As far as the general solution, for any rectangle, just looking at it, it seems as if the area will go from 1/2 to 1/4 of the area, as the slanted line sweeps from the upper left corner to the upper right corner. That's a good way to check the general answer, as it must work in the corners and at the midpoint.

Spoiler solution follows.

The equation for the fractional area of the shaded triangle, as the line moves from the upper left corner (call this x=0), to the upper right corner (call this x=1) is 1/(2x+2). At the midpoint, where x = 1/2, that gives the answer of 1/3. At the upper left, it is 1/2. At the upper right, it is 1/4.

It's easy(*) to work out if you assume a 1x1 square with an area of 1. The slanted line creates two similar triangles. The base of the big one is 1, and the base of the small one is x. If the lower one has height h, the upper one has height xh, and they add up to the full height of 1. h+xh=1, so h=1/(x+1). The area of the triangle in question is 1/(2x+2), which is also the fraction, since we chose a starting area of 1 for the whole thing.

(*)I did not reach this answer in as straightforward a method as it sounds. I had to draw a lot of pictures and go down a few different paths, before the solution became apparent.

Scott Orshan
Engineering Teacher
Bound Brook High School