Re: [Phys-L] electron velocity in an electric field.

I made an estimate of the effect of EM radiation on initial electron speed using the paper Brian Whatcott recommended (Daniel Schroeder's AAPT 1999 paper "Purcell Simplified" which referenced and recommended Edward Purcell's treatment of EM radiation in his book "Electricity and Magnetism"). Purcell develops a formula for the total electromagnetic power radiated by a charge undergoing constant acceleration (termed the "Larmor formula"). The formula is:

Power radiated = P_R = q^2*a^2/(6*pi*e_0*c^3). Where:

q = electronic charge = 1.602 x 10^-19 C
a = constant acceleration
e_0 = permittivity of free space = 8.854 x 10^-12 C^2/N m^2
c = speed of light = 2.998 x 10^8 m/s

For the acceleration I got (using Newtonian mechanics):

a = q*V/(d*m) where:

V = voltage across the two plates = 10 kv = 10^4 v
d = spacing between the two plates = 1 cm = 0.01 m
m = electronic mass = 9.109 x 10^-31 kg

This yields a = 1.759 x 10^17 m/s^2 and, with the other parameters specified above, results in:

P_R = 1.766 x 10^-19 w

To get the energy radiated (E_R), we need the time (t) the electron takes going between the two plates. Since I am only making an estimate, I again used the Newtonian result:

t = (v_f - v_i)/a where:

v_f = final speed = 0
v_i = initial speed (assuming radiation is a very small effect this is given approximately by David Bowman's special relativity result 5.846 x 10^7 m/s)

So, approximately, t = 3.323 x 10^-10 s and the total energy radiated (E_R) is:

E_R = P_R*t = 5.868 x 10^-29 J = 3.663 x 10^-10 eV since 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J

Therefore, E_R/(q*V) = 3.663 x 10^-14, so we expect the change in initial speed due to radiation to, indeed, be very small. Using David Bowman's special relativity formulation for the initial speed:

b = sqrt(2*e*(1 + e/2))/(1 + e) where:

b = v_i/c and e = q*V/(m*c^2 (assuming no radiation)

I get, using a number of approximations and small parameter expansions, the change in initial speed (delta v_i) is given by:

delta v_i/v_i = (1/2)*(E_R/(q*V)) = 1.83 X 10^-14 or about 2 x 10^-14. So the change in initial speed (delta v_i) is indeed very small due to radiation.

Can anyone make a similar approximate estimate of general relativity effects?

Don

Dr. Donald Polvani
Adjunct Faculty, Physics, Retired
Anne Arundel Community College