Re: [Phys-L] Rodent Population Model Behavior.

Predator-prey models aren't the only ones that produce these Feigenbaum
diagrams. (Bringing this discussion back to physics...)

Dripping faucets do something similar as a function of flow rate:
http://fy.chalmers.se/~f7xiz/TIF081C/drippingfaucet.pdf

We had some students set this up and get frustrated when they adjusted
things and reported, "It drips at a constant rate and then, sometimes, if
we bump the table like this [bump] it starts dripping at this other rate."
The bifurcation in the Feigenbaum diagram is the first indication of the
onset of chaos. I think that their apparatus didn't allow for much higher
flow rates and they never got into the really chaotic regions.

Paul

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 10:28 PM, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>