Re: [Phys-L] thermometry

Interesting - the version I offered used to be the 'target' knowledge in the English examinations widely used as university entrance qualifications, and was in the textbooks. I've been around long enough not to assume curriculum models should be unquestionably treated as authoritative, but that was a treatment which made inherent sense to me. You could measure a temperature with a thermocouple and a liquid-in-glass thermometer, in effect interpolating between the fixed point values that were defined as scales, and not expect they would precisely agree (i.e. in principle, not in terms of measurement error) except at the fixed points.

" That means that if you have two thermometers in
  equilibrium, and they disagree, at least one of
  them is wrong."

Makes sense, but I would have assumed that only applied if they were using the same scale, so if my liquid-in-glass thermometer does not entirely agree with my thermocouple I would not sat that was because one was wrong but because the mercury(say)-in-glass scale is not identical to the thermocouple scale.

The point in the earlier post that a scale may not be linear assumes of course that one has another scale with which to compare that thermometric property with an independently measured temperature (or how could you know?) So the temperature measured using a mercury-in-glass thermometer is linear on a mercury-in-glass scale (by definition) but may not be on thermocouple scale or an ethanol-in-glass scale, etc.  To avoid this one needs a practical scale which can be confidently assumed to match a thermodynamic (theoretical) scale, and I guess at one time no one had one of those: thus the treatment in the school textbooks.

Best wishes

Keith