Re: [Phys-L] Figuring Physics solution Jan 2018

On 01/25/2018 05:04 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

Since we a rephrasing Hewitt's question so it fits our answers, let's
try another example.

OK!

I have a beaker containing 1 liter of water at 40 C. I pour out 50
ml. Has the temperature of the water in the beaker changed?

Hewitt's question is no more complicated nor deep than that.

Indeed! His question is far more superficial than that.

His proposed response choices are more than adequate.

Lost me there.

The game is to decide which of the mutually-inconsistent premises
to ignore. Pouring is not the same as evaporating. Ignoring
the evaporation requirement is no different from ignoring some
other requirement, such as starting with a liquid (as opposed
to a gas) or whatever.

The response choices are the least of the problems. The