Re: [Phys-L] Figuring Physics solution Jan 2018

This is pretty much how I explain it, except instead of talking about the
particles "slowing down", I describe the thermal (internal) energy as a
reservoir. In a liquid, intermolecular bonds (van der Waals attraction,
hydrogen bonding, etc.) are continuously forming and breaking. The energy
to break those bonds comes from the molecules with higher kinetic energies
within the reservoir, and the energy released when the is reabsorbed the
reservoir again.

This also explains why water at 0°C in a thermos doesn't freeze--the energy
released from forming intermolecular bonds is reabsorbed as thermal energy,
which is then available from the reservoir to break other intermolecular
bonds. And it explains colligative properties, such as why putting salt on
icy roads melts the ice even though it cools the liquid well below the
normal freezing point of pure water. When bonds between higher-energy
molecules are broken, thermal energy is absorbed (which cools the bulk
liquid). The salt inhibits formation of the intermolecular bonds,
preventing the bonds from re-forming and releasing the thermal energy back
into the reservoir.

This is a simplistic description, but more than adequate for my high school
classes. To demonstrate this phenomenon, I pour boiling water on a
washcloth, and invite students to hold their hands near it to feel the
warmth. I then spin the washcloth rapidly for about 20-30 seconds to
evaporate the water, and the washcloth becomes cool to the touch--noticeably
cooler than the ambient air in the room.

Jeff Bigler
Lynn English HS; Lynn, MA