Re: [Phys-L] Figuring Physics solution Jan 2018

I expect I am missing something clever.... what's imaginary about a 10 N force?

Brian W

On 1/22/2018 4:40 PM, bernard cleyet wrote:

On 2018/Jan/22, at 13:01, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Concrete example: a 10 newton force which cannot be stopped, bears directly on a 1000 kg marble block anchored in the substrate rock. The block cannot be moved.
What happens?
Duh!
Nothing.

Brian W

Brian!

you’ve mixed and imaginary force w/ a “real” physical object.

At the "Hewit level” of discusion the force must be due to an object, so in that “real” case there will be some powder or chips.

bc