Re: [Phys-L] ?simple experiment limited by fluctuations

There was a measurement/uncertainty lab in Johnson/Canterna's Laboratory
Experiments For Astronomy, which I used as a TA in grad school for an
astronomy class. Kids had to measure five things:

drop ruler and catch to measure distance
measure diameter of circle cut out of cardboard
measure height of candle flame
measure mass of a piece of dry ice
use shortwave radio to measure the time on your watch compared to Universal
Time

Kids enjoyed the activities. Good variety -- three of them involved
distance, one mass, and one time. Discussions of systematic/random error,
etc.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:59 PM John Denker via Phys-l <