Re: [Phys-L] friction --> what makes the car go?

On 09/25/2017 12:31 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
Kinetic friction does negative work on a sliding book, which makes it stop.
And static friction moves us forward when we walk. But there is no
slipping, so static friction does no work on us. Yet we move forward. How
can this be explained to kids in terms of work and energ

Short answer: The /momentum/ needed to accelerate a car
is transferred across the boundary. However, the energy
is not. It comes from onboard sources.

For the next level of detail, see:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/car-go.htm

If that's not the answer you were looking for, please ask
a more specific question.