Re: [Phys-L] spinner data -- experimentation 101

On 2017/Sep/19, at 03:53, John Denker via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

However, you can't trust the fitted parameters if you
don't trust the underlying data.

Because of the jumps, I don't trust this fit farther than
I could throw it. And it's bad manners to throw a fit.

This shows why experimentation is iterative: Do a preliminary
experiment, find out what the problems are, then try again.

I suspect the app was bumped, or an interfering noise.

This (JD’s) calls in to question some of my experiments in which there was interruption of the data. So I isolated the sections, which I then analysed separately.

AGAIN; I suppose if more than one of us uses a time series OK.

bc is off to Orchard Supply where they have spinners at the check out counter (pay point in England -- like click bait).

p.s. I think Mumfords MicroSet has a turns counter app. uses reflection from a reflection tape stuce on the shaft???