Re: [Phys-L] Significant Figures

Sig-figs has been a recurring topic here, fueled mostly by those who oppose their use.  Most of us know (have experienced) that in actual research figuring out and presenting meaningful uncertainties can be arduous and at least slightly complicated. I'm thinking of having several factors that come to play in a experimental value some of which can present random uncertainties and others that can by systematic.  But all that aside, for the BEGINNING science student or for the 'lay' student taking their one and only science course, the two issues involved here are:  1) All measurements have a finite precision which is usually indicated by the number of digits (more than likely decimal places) in the value reported.  In my experience it is more likely that such students will report too few digits.  2)  That mathematical operations in of themselves should not increase nor decrease the precision of the result reported.  The simple example is that of measuring an area with width and length measurements.  This can be used to show how the 'rules' of sig-figs do a pretty good job of preventing one from overstating the accuracy of an area measurement.

All the complex details of 'real' uncertainties can wait a course or two--or forever.

RWT (who once chided one of our psychologists for presenting a study done with 35 employees and presenting percentages to two decimal places.)