Re: [Phys-L] e/m apparatus

On 2017/Jun/07, at 11:45, Peter Schoch <pschoch@fandm.edu> wrote:

Finally I used the 'known' and worked backwards, and the built-in scale
seems to be the culprit. Irksome, to say the least, for that kind of money.

IIRC, “We” (the students) obtained rather gud results from the Welch fifties system (ca. 1986). (Don’t have reports handy, but do have detailed instructions about error, etc,).

I thought at the time to x-ray the tube using our GE-XRD. I’d get a v. large screen/film from a clinic and have the tube and screen v. far from the diffraction port.
I didn’t “get around” to calculating how parallel the “rays” would be. V. large lab. tho.

bc, has complete Busch method from UCB (Coils, 2?BP1, P/Ss), and wonders the % error Peter obtained.

http://aapt.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1119/1.1937814

Has anyone calculated the field variation for the Helmholz?