Re: [Phys-L] galaxies

On 03/30/2017 04:44 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I teach astronomy and am looking for a "list" of blueshifted galaxies. Did
a search online, with few/mixed results. I did find sites with conflicting
information, saying the numbers of these galaxies ranged from 100 to 7000.
Wondering if there is some sort of galaxy database with redshift
information. Can anyone help?

Just now I went to
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/ui/?q=byparams
and queried for z less than zero.

As I read it on first glance, it indicates:
-- SDSS knows of 903 galaxies with z<0.
-- 2dFGRS knows of 2603 non-stellar objects with z<0.

You can probably do better by querying the primary sources
directly:
http://www.sdss.org/dr13/
http://www.2dfgrs.net/

Note that neither of them covers the whole sky. But perhaps
they provide enough of a "list" to get started with.

If you want some examples that are bright enough to be
observed with a backyard telescope, there's always this:
http://messier.seds.org/xtra/supp/redshift.html