Re: [Phys-L] Commentary on teaching in Physics Today

On 2017/Mar/09, at 12:52, John Denker via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

It's true that children start out inquisitive. Then
typically they grow less inquisitive as they grow older.
Why is that?
a) Is it just the natural order of things?
b) Or does school beat the inquisitiveness out of them?

b: A physicist (I think hired w/ tenure.) at UCSB thought that. Kids started out excited and inquisitive, but soon it was ho hum. He puzzled over how the ed. system beat it out of them. He returned to Los Alamos after a year, because he missed the skying, so I was told.

bc