Re: [Phys-L] March for Science

On 03/04/2017 04:40 AM, Joseph Bellina wrote:

On Earth Day this year there will be national march for science in
Washington D.C and local marches throughout the country, indeed
throughout the world. If you would like to join a local march, or
start one in your community please go to

https://www.marchforscience.com

and search for local marches.

I reckon this is a very good idea.

FWIW, I heard a contrary argument along the following lines:
"Scientists are supposed to make scientific arguments and write
scholarly journal articles. Scientists are not supposed to
march in the streets."

To that I replied:
++ When dealing with scientists, I make scientific arguments
and write journal articles.
-- When dealing with other people, I communicate in other ways.

We are all familiar with this idea, because it applies to teaching.
It does not suffice to stand in front of the class and blurt out
the scientifically-correct answer. It is necessary to engage and
motivate the audience.
++ For quantitative scientific purposes, I would not test
conservation of energy by holding a bowling ball next to
my nose.
-- For pedagogical purposes, I sometimes do exactly that.

Here is a list of scientific organizations supporting the march:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/will-they-or-won-t-they-what-science-groups-are-saying-about-joining-march-science

Here is an editorial from somebody who
*) knows about science (PhD in plasma physics),
*) knows about politics (former member of congress), and
*) is currently CEO of AAAS.

Rush Holt
"Act for science"
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6325/551.full