Re: [Phys-L] Tennis Ball on Basketball

Just wanted to note a slight alternative. Don't know if it helps the separation problem but results are spectacular.

I used a bowling ball, dropped from about 1.5 meters to a thinly carpeted, tiled, then concrete floor. I would balance a super-ball in one of the finger holes. The super ball would hit the high ceiling pretty hard--if I kept it really on top when dropping. Otherwise it would usually fly well out into the class (had them protect their faces, just in case). There was a little bit of noise--actually my bowling ball drops (yes more than one each semester) could be heard throughout the entire Science building--both floors!

rwt

--
Richard Tarara
Professor Emeritus

NEW INTERNATIONAL ENERGY SIMULATOR AVAILABLE
COMING SOON: COMPLETE SELF-PACED COMPUTER BASED COURSE ON WORLD ENERGY.
free Physics educational software
http://sites.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/software.html