Re: [Phys-L] On the source of vibration of a heating filament

On 2017/Dec/26, at 13:24, Folkerts, Timothy J <FolkertsT@bartonccc.edu> wrote:

This looks like a simple application of qv x B. The thin filament carries an increasing current in the earth's magnetic field (or perhaps some other stronger external field). This will result in a 60 Hz vibration.

I do a similar demo using a light bulb with a long looping unsupported filament and a small permanent magnet. This filament can vibrate back and forth about 1 cm.

Tim

Purchasable.

bc doesn’t know to where his disappeared.

A Fermi question: the flexural modulus, the current, therefore the v; the B. I’m not convinced it’s it. ONe may cheque by adding a much greater B field.