Re: [Phys-L] how to make superheated water explosions

The potato mechanism reminds me of something that happened when I taught (high school) chemistry, and had the students start the year by making cookies without a recipe, instead using information about different classes of ingredients (starches, sweeteners, fats, sources of carbon dioxide, etc.). One student brought her cookies in, announcing that they had exploded. It turns out that she had put gummy bears in the cookies, and they liquefied, superheated and burst in the oven. Each cookie had several craters that had gummy-colored and flavored edges.

Jeff Bigler

Sent from my phone, probably while multitasking and possibly using voice-to-text. Please pardon any typos, speakos, autocorrect errors and other vagaries, and ask about anything that doesn't make sense.