[Phys-L] review of Middle school science texts(1961) (early PER?)

"It's a credit to science teachers that their students are learning anything at all.”

"Science is not a pile of facts," Mr. Nelson said. "It's built on a foundation of core knowledge, and that's what we want students to learn at this level.” (Poincaré wrote it earlier)

"The reviewers also examined a teaching unit called 'Matter and Molecules' developed in 1988 by researchers at Michigan State University. It alone won a satisfactory rating and provides evidence that it is possible to write far better textbooks, said Jo Ellen Roseman, the curriculum director for Project 2061. 'This is not beyond our capacity,' she said. 'We simply have to have the will.'"

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/1999/10/06/06text.h19.html

bc … Initiated by Harper’s Index (May 2001) “Chance that a page in the middle school textbook (Science Insights) contains a serious factual error : 1 in 10", and reminds him of JD’s reviews.

p.s. Have they “gotten better”?