Re: [Phys-L] electron microscope rehab

On 2017/Nov/16, at 12:41, Joseph Bellina via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

Em's are a bear to maintain let alone refurbish. You would be much better off in time and money to take John' s advice

Best

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

That’s likely because it has E-M lenses. I overhauled a Japanese E-microscope (PMs) {CA. 1977} in a week (part time), as all I had to do was replace all the O-rings, the oil in the fore-pump and cheque the oil in the diff. pump, Oh ... and replace the filament. Worked the first time, which pleased and surprised me no end — not incidentally the stuff was the kit supplied by the mfg’er.

bc, amused by the high vac. “indicator”, as is (was) a discharge tube!! Don’t think it had a gauge for the roughing pump, but we all know the sound changes when it gets below about 100 microns.

When it goes out I'd fire up the filament. Not incidentally, I made the cooling for the diff. pump a circulation pump with water from a five gal. carboy. I’d run about an hour each day.