From: Phys-l [phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] on behalf of rjensen@ualberta.ca [rjensen@ualberta.ca]
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 6:01 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] What is understanding

Your definition implies that, without mastery, there is no
understanding. I submit that there are levels to understanding, which
is illustrated by the statement, "Your understanding of thermodynamics
is well beyond what we expect of students taking first-year
chemistry."

A commonly held belief is that understanding is a progression,
exemplified by the DIKW figure
DATA =1=> INFORMATION =2=> KNOWLEDGE =3=> WISDOM
The arrows represent (1) processing data, (2) applying information,
(3) gaining experience

From a different perspective, only could use Bloom's taxonomy as the
stages of understanding. Is the understanding sufficient for the
learner to • remember • understand • apply • analyze • evaluate •
create • knowledge? (This applies to all of Bloom's domains.)

Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
W5-19, University of Alberta
780.248.1808